Work began this week on assembling the spectacular 110-foot Ferris wheel rising above the Belgrave skyline that will take pride of place at the centre of this year’s Diwali celebrations. The wheel will be in operation from Friday October 14th to Sunday November 6th as a central part of the two-week programme of Diwali events taking place in the city.
Full details can be found in the Diwali guide online http://publications.leicester.gov.uk/diwaliguide2016/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#1
- Other events to celebrate the largest Diwali celebrations outside of India include the 6,000 Lights: The Story of Diwali in Leicester Exhibition at New Walk Museum and Art Gallery from 15th October to 27November. This exhibitions looks back at the festival’s humble origins and explores why Leicester holds this spectacular festival and the people, organisation and events that have made it happen.
- There is a wonderful opportunity to visit one of Leicester’s beautiful Hindu temples, the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir on Sunday 16 October. There are two tours – Tour 1: 10 am – 11.30 am and Tour 2: 4.30 pm – 6 pm. Tel: 0116 262 3791
- De Montfort University Square Mile is working in partnership with India’s biggest dance academy, Shiamack and BBC Radio Leicester to captivate audiences with a variety of performances on Jubilee Square – Parade of Lights on Sunday 16 October 3 pm – 5 pm
- Diwali Lights Switch On Sunday 16 October 5.30 pm – 9 pm Belgrave Road and Diwali Village 3 pm – 9pm Cossington Street Recreation Ground. Highlights include the annual Mela Rangoli Exhibition,Ocean of Light and Colours of Radiance. Phoenix is excited to bring Ocean of Light, an unforgettable experience which immerses the viewer in colour and light. Nupur Arts in collaboration with Cirque Bijou presents Colours of Radiance, a dazzling show utilising LED umbrellas to create dynamic and mesmerising images. More information can be found here.
- There are many more wonderful events being held including in the city centre this year. A Bollywood Dance troupe will be performing in Leicester Market, Curve Diwali Family Day, Diwali Mela Bazaar at Humberstone Gate West and Clock Tower, Kuljit Bhamra presents Chutney! at the Clock Tower and The Kohinoor Diwali is in Humberstone Gate all take place on Saturday 22 October.
- Amit and Sumit Kumar perform a special concert, Yeh Shaam Mastani on Sunday 23 October at 7 pm at De Montfort Hall.
- An exhibition not to be missed is being held at the Jain Centre, Oxford Street on Monday 24 October – Sunday 6 November on the history of the Jains who came to Leicester around 1966 mostly from Kenya, Tanzania and later Uganda.
- Adita Mangaldas Company and Aakash Odedra Company present INTER_RUPTED at Curve Theatre on Thursday 27th October. A Diwali Family Extravaganza is taking place at Attenborough Arts Centre on Saturday 29th October to celebrate the Festival of Lights.
- Diwali Day Village Sunday 30 October 3 pm – 9pm at Cossington Street Recreation Group.